Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Heart Dr. Barton!


Today in Cardiology I saw the light! After sitting in this class for the past two weeks, I finally learned something! Why the change you may ask? THE TEACHER!!!! A new professor began lecturing today and I realized that a great teacher can make all the difference.

Usually when I'm half-listening and not interested in the class, I peg the material as boring and blame my lack of understanding on not studying enough...but today Dr. Barton did it again. She made me realize that a great teacher can make any subject interesting and that as a student I am not stupid for "not knowing." I am in vet school to learn. But Dr. Barton made me realize that our professors should be here to facilitate our learning, not just passively deliver information!

When less than 1/3 of the student population and the veterinary practitioners fail to learn a crucial skill, like identifying cardiac murmurs by auscultation, something is wrong with the system! So what does a great teacher do!?!? She takes it upon herself to change this statistic by TEACHING students...and not assuming they should just know!

As often as I complain about my least favorite professors, I must acknowledge that a large number of teachers during my 20-some years in school have been great teachers. I am sincerely grateful for each and everyone of these outstanding teachers...I know I wouldn't have made it this far in my academic career without them!

So, to Dr. Barton and all the other great teachers out there...THANK YOU! Thank you for your time and dedication.

3 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Yeah, she's just fabulous. Too bad she teaches Large Animal stuff.
-Shirin

Kristen said...

I'd like to give a shout out to Daphne and Mrs. Ingram...without whom you would have never learned Latin, had so much fun goofing off, smelled some pretty bad breath, and seen a grown woman wear a cape :)

Beth said...

Thanks, Kristen!
That comment made my day!