Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Evil that is Walmart!


I've been reading this book that Em's sister Bib had in the house, it's called "How Walmart is Destroying America (and the World) And What You Can Do About It."
Full of behind-the-scenes insights into the business practices of Walmart, this book is a real eye-opener. I was aware of the low-wages paid, lack of healthcare for most of their employees, and I figured that a ton of their merchandise came from sweatshops, but this book reveals horrors beyond my own imagination...Discrimination against female workers, costing tax-payers billions of dollars per year, exploiting undocumented workers, destroying towns, and on and on and on...WALMART is truly EVIL!!!

This book just reaffirmed any negative feelings I had for the mega-business that is Walmart. But more importantly, it gives info on what you can do about this EVIL business...

Wake-up Walmart is a great site for more info!

So I pledge today that I, Beth Yash, will never shop at a Walmart store again!!!

2 comments:

Shirin Modaresi said...

I applaud your pledge but it's a hard one to keep!

MAV said...

i took a class taught by an ex-Walmart executive years ago at a conference. really scary stuff.

we banned them about 5 years ago and it hasn't been that bad...stay strong, shop target! they have cooler stuff anyway.

btw-i had no idea y'all were actually keeping up with the blog...i had a lot of catching up to do!