Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Summer Garden

For the first time ever, Emily and I planted a summer garden! We started out with a couple of basil plants, 4 tomato plants, 4 squash plants, and 6 pepper plants. We are now down a few pepper and squash plants, but the tomatoes are growing strong!

Emily was a great helper in the initial stages of preparing the soil and planting, but now she merely takes pictures of the "evil" pests trying to eat our harvest!


Thankfully, the horn-worms Emily was so excited about taking pictures of were easy to remove, and didn't get too many of our tomatoes. But even before the horn-worms there were aphids, which I took care of with peppermint tea!

I love having a garden, but must say that I have found it very tough and somewhat time-consuming. I now have a TON of respect for organic farmers!

1 comment:

Gabriel Beal said...

I didn't know you had a veggie garden! I really always want to do one too but never have really been able to get the energy to make it happen. Man...basil and home-grown tomatoes sound great!
-Shirin